Tips on how to get Beautiful Skin with a Healthy Liver from Chinese TCM Singapore
In Chinese TCM Singapore, our Liver is responsible for storing blood and regulation or flow of substances within our body. Stagnant Liver Qi (气）leads to poor blood circulation. Our Liver is easily affected by emotions and stress.
When there is Blood or Qi deficiency in the Liver, it leads to dry skin, dull complexion, liver spots, dry brittle nails and as the liver's sense organ is the eye - you will experience symptoms like dry eye, blurred vision and when there is excess Liver heat- you may experience red or blood-shot eyes.
The flow of Qi in the Liver impacts our emotional state. When Liver Qi is imbalanced, you may feel easily irritated or angry all the time.
For naturally radiant and beautiful skin, good mood and clear vision - remember to nourish your liver!
Here are some tips for a Healthy Liver for Beautiful Skin from the inside out!
- Eat a well balanced diet- more green leafy vegetables, less oily and fried foods.
- Limit Caffeine intake to minimum
- Avoid alcohol to avoid stressing the liver
- Avoid high sugar, processed foods
- Avoid too spicy, cold or raw food
- Sour food like vinegar or pickled vegetables in small quantities supports the liver functions
- Mealtimes should be relaxing and not rushed. Avoid distractions like using electronic devices or watching TV.
- Stop eating 2-3 hours before sleep and do not overeat (stop when you are about 80% full.)
- Do regular but more gentle exercises with lots of stretching instead of hard and fast exercise which tend to overwork or over-stretch the tendons
- Long walks in the park or nature helps to relax the mind and body
- Have enough sleep or rest daily
- Put aside time to de-stress and calm your emotions
- Acupuncture or use a guasha tool/brush to massage the legs and inner thighs, brushing upwards starting from the ankles will stimulate the liver meridians.
Some common foods or herbs that help to nourish or cleanse the Liver:
- Whole grains, Vegetables- Lettuce, Asparagus, Celery, Radish and Legumes, Tofu & Mushrooms
- Mint, Ginger, Basil, Rosemary, Tumeric
- Unrefined apple cider, brown rice or rice wine vinegar. Its effects increase with honey. Mix one spoon vinegar and one spoon honey in a cup of water.
- American Ginseng, Dang Gui, Bai Shao, Fu Ling, Bai Zhu, Huang Qi, Pearl Powder, Goji Berries are beneficial and nutritious for the liver.
- Chrysanthemum tea, Dandelion tea, Milk Thistle, Chamomile are good for clearing liver heat.