Traditional Chinese medicine - Honeysuckle Flower ( Jin Yin Hua, 金银花)
In Traditional Chinese medicine, Honeysuckle flower has sweet and cold properties, and is associated with the Lung, Stomach and Heart meridians. It is rich in proteins, sugars, Vitamins A & C, flavonoids, saponins, organic acids- derivatives of chlorogenic acid and anti-oxidants that help to heal and nourish the skin.
It is used to treat a variety of ailments such as fevers, ulcers, inflammation and sore throats to skin infections. Honeysuckle flower may be used internally, drank as tea or externally used for wash/bath soak. It is commonly used to treat symptoms for heatiness such as feeling dizzy, thirst, excessive sweating or diarrhoea. It is also used to treat flu, cold, sore throat, tonsillitis, haemorrhoids, lung and skin infections such as boils and skin sores.
Key benefits and uses of Honeysuckle Flower
- Improves blood circulation and replenish Qi
- Relieves body heat and detoxifies blood
- Relieves symptoms of cold and flu and upper respiratory infections
- Rich in anti-oxidants that are anti-aging and heals and nourish the skin
- Treat acute infectious diseases due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory efficacy
- Treats skin infections such as boils or pus-filled infections reducing pain, swelling and redness
- Treats & cures acne on face and body
- Relieves skin rashes, itching, discomfort and anti-allergy for dry skin, eczema and psoriasis
- Reduces high fever and other symptoms of excessive heat such as dizziness, thirst and excessive sweating
- Lowers fat deposits & blood pressure
- Improves immunity
- Relieves sore throat and tonsillitis
- Nourishes the liver and improves production of fluids in the body
Due to its cold nature, it is not suitable for pregnant women or to be taken during menstrual period. Those with a weak stomach or digestive system should take it after food.
How to use:
1) Honeysuckle Tea - Rinse some dried honeysuckle flowers (20g), place in tea cup. Add boiling water, cover and steep for 5-10mins.
2) To reduce skin redness and swelling or for use as Acne face mask - Boil 30g of dried honeysuckle flowers in a pot of water (200ml) till the water is reduced to half. Use a paper face mask to soak up the liquid when it's cool. Apply on face for 15 mins. For other parts of body- use a clean cotton gauze to soak up the liquid and apply for 15-20mins.